The Hurva Synagogue: A Symbol of Rebuilt Jerusalem

This post tells the story behind the historic Hurva Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. Originally built in the 18th century, the synagogue was destroyed by Muslims in 1721, rebuilt in 1864, and tdestroyed again during the War of Independence in 1948. After the Six Day War in 1967, the destroyed synagogue became a prominent landmark of the Jewish Quarter, but it was not rebuilt until 2010, when it was completely restored to its 19th-century style, once again becoming an active place of prayer and a symbol of the renewal of the Jewish people and Jerusalem. The informative video (02:51) from the Jerusalem Development Authority provides a virtual walking tour of the rebuilt synagogue, including an explanation of the symbolism behind various architectural and decorative features. This article from Haaretz tells the tumultuous history of this symbolic synagogue, “twice destroyed, thrice rebuilt.”

Leave a Reply